Sunday, July 02, 2006

Arrival

Sunday, July 2, 2006



We arrive in Prague on a beautiful 24° C (75° F) day. Beth had thoughtfully set up a shuttle from the airport to our hotel in the city, knowing that we'd be a little culture shocked and jet lagged (both of which we were). We found our driver, a twenty-six year old Prager holding a sign for "Mrs. Cloud" after passing wordlessly through Czech customs. I nod to him.

"Mluvite Anglicky?" ("Do you speak English?") I ask.

"Of course!"

We arrive at our hotel, and I promptly undertip our driver and overtip the bell-boy. "Dekuje" ("Thank you"), I tell our driver, to which he responds kindly, "Many Americans have trouble with Czech words."

"Did I get it right?"

"It's the best I've heard in a while."

I'll take that as a compliment.

After settling into our cozy room, we decide to find the astronomical clock tower before sundown, using our recently acquired walking map as a guide. We promptly head in opposite the direction indicated on the map, and are baffled as to why none of the streets we cross are on it. At least we found the tram (streetcar) station.

We have pheasant and boar steak at the hotel brew pub, which was jumping for 21:00 (9 PM) on a Sunday. After copious amounts of the local Budvar, our waiter's eyes light up as we pay the bill, and I have the sneaking suspicion that we overtipped again.

We're off to explore the city in earnest tomorrow. This time, I'll make sure to hold the map right-side up.

Update: Added pictures!

2 comments:

Blo said...

Pictures, man, pictures! I like your words, but I wanna see the city!

Oh, I'll wait if I have to...

Jack Gentle said...

Yeah PICTURES! Put that new camera through its paces!!!